The Week of
Negative Stress, Threats and Stimulus
This Week’s Info
- Mobility Focus: Shoulder / Scapula
- Stability Goals: Shoulder 90-140 Degrees
- Skill Work: Plank Variation
- Mindset: Negative Stress and Threats
WOD Programming Schedule (thru August 6th)
- Monday: MetCon
- Tuesday: Pliability
- Wednesday: Strength
- Thursday: MetCon
- Friday: Pliability
- Saturday: Strength
Summer of YOU Challenge
- Wahoo! So many of you are rocking this challenge!
- Get your WEEK 2 tracking info to Amanda by MONDAY!!!! You can drop them off or email them in! (Amanda@MindsetPT.com)
- MamaBear 102 is OPEN and almost FULL — register ASAP!
- We will be offering a 6-Week Nutrition Course for our Masters Classes per YOUR request. More information will be coming soon but mark your calendars for Fridays 9:30am from Sept 9th to Oct 14th!
Master’s Class Openings!
- We have a few openings left in our Master’s Classes! Do you know of anyone who would want to come move with us? Who wants to work on their strength, stability and balance?
- Reach out to Amanda with any questions or recommendations!
Want to clean out your closet for a good cause?
- We are excited to announce that we will be a donation site for the 6th Annual “It’s in the Bag” Purse Sale Fundraiser hosted by the Friends of the Portage Senior Center.
- The Friends are currently seeking donations of gently used, name-brand handbags, purses, jewelry and scarves to go toward sale. We will be hosting a collection bin in our foyer for the next few weeks for drop-off donations!
- Check out the link above for more information on the day-of sale! We also invite you to check out the Friends of the Portage Senior Center of Facebook!
- The Friends of the Portage Senior Center is a non-profit that provides an annual gift to the new Portage Community Senior Center. The City of Portage contributes approximately 20% of the Senior Center operating funds to programming. Thus, it is necessary for the Friends to raise funds for continued support in the center’s membership scholarships, programming, and special events.
- If you have any questions about the event or donating, feel free to connect with Amanda at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Humans are meant to adapt to many different stimuli! Therefore, if you choose your stimulus wisely, you will find your body changes in the ways YOU decide!
So use this to your advantage! Choose what you expose yourself to in a smart, proactive way! Taking control of your life and physiology in this way can make you stronger, healthier and even happier. Don’t believe me? Check out THIS article to learn more!
Functional Medicine Corner
OK folks – we’re going there! That’s right…we’re talking about poop!! I know it is a taboo subject, but there is SO much that pooping does for us, it really should not be ignored. Let’s break this down a little more as we look at how elimination plays into gut health.
Our stool (the medical term for poo) removes elements of what we eat that our body hasn’t absorbed AND that our bacteria haven’t eaten. But much more importantly, pooping is how we “take out the trash.” In other words, this is how toxic metabolites such as byproducts of normal metabolism, but also chemicals, metals, and other materials we are exposed to through food and our environment are removed. To help our body eliminate all of this, we must have healthy bile formation in the liver as well as get stool out, ideally once or twice daily.
With that said, if visits to the restroom occur four or more times a day, or if our poo is quite loose or watery, this suggests the conveyor belt of our gut may be working too quickly and not allowing us to absorb nutrients, electrolytes and even water. Frequency alone is key!
So what affects transit time? The biggest considerations include the following: bacterial composition in our gut which we can alter by eating or drinking probiotic foods, soluble and insoluble fiber intake, physical activity (moving our body regularly gets our intestines going as well), and…of course, the stress response. Meditation and deep breathing can help you poop well too! 😉
~ Carrie Palmer PA-C, IFMCP
Please feel free to reach out to Carrie directly with additional questions at 269-224-1659!
Member of the Month – July
Hey there Mindset family–it is a new month so it calls for our next Mindset Member of the Month: Kathryn “Kate” Redinger! (And yes…she is ringing that PR bell! Woot woot!)
Kate, we are so honored to have you in this community. We have been amazed by your strength and perseverance. You are quietly strong and you pack a lot of power! We marvel at what you can do and we admire you for how aware you have become of your body and your breathing! You are incredibly strong and powerful–thank you for being part of our community!
Help us shower Kate with some extra Mindset love this month!