This Week’s Info
- Theme: Attention – Others
- Mobility Focus: Hip External Rotation
- Stability Goals: Hip / Clam Series
- Skill work: Hang Power Clean 2
WOD Programming Schedule
- New Schedule from March 14th – April 9th
- Monday / Thursday – MetCon
- Tuesday / Friday – Pliability
- Wednesday / Saturday – Strength
- Athena is BACK!
- Dr. Allyson and Cassidi are bringing back Mindset’s POWERFUL and life-changing female athlete program for girls ages 12-15.
- We focus on physical and true self development.
- In addition, we partner with many amazing women who are included during our speaker section of each session.
- Click HERE to register your female athlete today!
- NOW AVAILABLE – Deep Self & Nutrition Coaching!
- HERE is more information about this program!
- We will now be offering nutrition coaching in our membership packages! We would be honored to upgrade your membership to include these expert services.
- Our updated Member Guide is also attached to this email for reference.
- Please contact Amanda (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in upgrading your plan to include nutritional coaching!
So let’s simplify things into 2 Modes: Growth Mode and Defense Mode. Every choice we make helps us move either toward or away from our goals.
HERE is a quick video that you can combine with the information from our Functional Medicine Corner to help you make more choices toward Growth Mode!!
Functional Medicine Corner
So how do we increase our metabolic resilience and encourage our body to slip into that parasympathetic, or rest and digest mode, of our nervous system? There are many ways we can work on this, but one key is to activate the vagus nerve.
The vagus nerve is the largest nerve of the human body which runs from the base of the brain stem throughout much of our body, branching out to send signals to a myriad of structures. It monitors and controls the function of several of our organs, including our heart, lungs, diaphragm, entire digestive tract and reproductive organs. When we activate the vagus nerve, this can help to signal our body to switch into parasympathetic mode. But how do we do this?
1) Singing/chanting/gargling – Remember those days when you would belt out your favorite tune in the shower? You were actually improving your health! Any relatively loud vocalization such as singing, using an “Om” chant or gargling loudly for 30-60 seconds at a time can activate the vagus nerve due to vibration of the vocal cords.
2) Laughing – Who knew watching “The Office” could be more than just a guilty pleasure? Finding ways to get a good hearty laugh can help activate the vagus nerve as well – so hang with a funny friend, watch a movie or a comedy act and don’t stifle those giggles!
3) Deep abdominal breathing – Especially if our exhale is twice as long as our inhale, it helps to activate the vagal response. It is important that we also use what we’ve learned at Mindset and breathe into our bellies. This helps to “massage” the abdominal organs and activate the diaphragm fully, leading to better vagal nerve stimulation.
4) Cold water therapy – Cold water activates a reflex triggered through the vagus nerve, telling the heart rate to slow to conserve oxygen. This can be done by splashing cold water on your face, or by beginning or ending your shower with cold water for at least 30-60 seconds.
So consider choosing at least one of these techniques and make it a priority to include at least once if not a few times each day this week. And make it fun! Your health will benefit from these “deposits” into your account, and you will notice how differently you feel afterward!
~ Carrie Palmer PA-C, IFMCP
Please feel free to reach out to Carrie directly with additional questions at 269-224-1659!
Member of the Month – April
Hey MINDSET family! This month’s member of the month is the AMAZING JILL WELLS!
Check her out rocking the Wonder Woman workout!
We love your energy Jill–you are strong inside and out. You can conquer the world and we are constantly inspired by you!
COVID Policy Updates
- You can find our complete COVID-19 Protocol HERE
- Previous Newsletters can be found HERE!
- Use our MindsetPT app or our website calendar for easy reference!
WE LOVE YOU MORE THAN YOU KNOW!
– Your Mindset Family