Your Mindset Leadership Team
YOUR CLINICAL DIRECTOR
Contact Info: Allyson@MindsetPT.com
Dr. Allyson runs point for all clinical things! This includes physical therapy, massage services, deep health coaching and more!
YOUR GYM and FACILITY DIRECTOR
Contact Info: Ellen@MindsetPT.com
Dr. Ellen is your go-to for all things gym and operations, and would love to talk about her new mop. Seriously… she really loves this darn mop.
This Week’s Info
Mobility Focus: Thoracic / Hip
Stability Goals: Shoulder / Scapula
Skill Work: Triple Extension Combo
Mindset: Finding Grit!
WOD Programming Schedule (through September 9th)
- Monday – Pliability
- Tuesday – MetCon
- Wednesday – Strength
- Thursday – Pliability
- Friday – MetCon
- Saturday – Strength
Help us serve you better by filling out this survey!
We value your input and strive to provide you with the best Mindset experience possible!
Dr. Allyson has a show coming up on September 30th at 7:30pm right here in Kalamazoo!!
Click HERE for more information about in-person and virtual viewing options!!
We are so proud of you! We love you more than you know!
Let’s talk protein! This is one of the 3 Macronutrients that you eat and is a powerhouse for energy and recovery. Before we get into some fun facts, let’s get the basics:
Protein is made up of one or more chains of amino acids. There are two types of amino acids: essential amino acids and non-essential amino acids. Essential amino acids cannot be produced by our body, and they come from our diet. But non-essential amino acids can be produced by our body.
Proteins are vital for our body’s functions as they regulate DNA and RNA, transport molecules, support the immune system and muscle movement, coordinate body functions through hormones, and facilitate chemical reactions. They are essential for maintaining proper bodily function!
But did you know these facts?
- The human body contains around 10,000 different types of proteins made from different combinations of 20 amino acids.
- Approximately 18-20% of body weight is due to protein.
- The lifespan of proteins is only two days or less.
- Proteins help determine your body’s structure and is involved in cell division for growth, reproduction and healing.
- Your hair is mostly made of proteins. They are continuously in the process of growing for 2-3 years after which they fall out and get replaced by new hair. Protein plays a key role during the growth phase. Hence, protein deficiency may cause more hair fall.
- Quinoa, a grain-like crop, contains all nine essential amino acids making it a good source of complete protein.
- Protein must be taken in your diet every day as it is continuously broken down and replaced. The human body cannot store protein like it stores carbohydrates and fats (this is an important fact that Cassidi and I discuss often with clients!)
If you want to know more, consider scheduling an appointment with Cassidi today!
Functional Medicine Corner
When focusing on improving the health of the gut, one of the first tools that people consider adding is a probiotic. And rightfully so – the trillions of microbes that live inside of our bellies contribute significantly to our overall health picture. Many of us are deficient in many of these hard-working bacteria and benefit from supplementation.
BUT, all probiotics are not created equally, and there are many aspects to consider as you try to find the right choice for you.
Many traditional probiotic formulations contain lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium species – two of the hardest working bacterial colonies in our gut. However, probiotic capsules need to deliver live bacteria into our gut. And it is not easy to keep these little bugs alive in a bottle for the months needed before they take the trip down your GI tract!
Therefore, it is often best to consider the following before purchasing:
Look for certification – Since the FDA doesn’t regulate supplementation at all, generally it is best to look for supplements that have a USP and/or NSF certification. These are labs that independently test supplements after manufacturing to ensure they supply what is on the label. This includes the number of live bacteria in each capsule at the time of ingestion.
Verify the bugs are cared for – What do I mean? Often, to get a good probiotic to deliver live bacteria into your gut, you either need to find a refrigerated form OR one that is shelf stable and provides prebiotic fiber to keep the little guys alive while they are waiting to populate your gut.
Dosage matters – We also want to consider HOW MANY bacteria are in each capsule. Strength of probiotics are frequently measured in colony forming units, or CFUs. Generally, to make a significant impact, we are looking for at least 10-15 billion CFUs per capsule. Many people can tolerate 50 billion or more. It is best to start with a smaller dose, and then work up if you don’t feel it is providing enough benefit. Too many good guys can sometimes lead to more gas, bloating and abdominal discomfort – more is not always better!
Please feel free to reach out to Carrie directly with additional questions at 269-224-1659!
Member of the Month
Hey there Mindset community! Happy September!
Since it is a new month we have a new member to spotlight all month long. If you don’t already know her, meet Jean!
Jean is one of our noon and 8:30 am WOD regulars! She is consistent, listens to her body, and takes on challenges with a positive attitude. We have admired how hard she has worked in the gym since joining us and her gentle spirit is one we have loved having in our atmosphere.
Jean, we love having you in classes and we are always eager to see you hit new goals. We love you more than you know!
Help us shower Jean with love all month long!
Green Box: The Farmers’ Market in a Box from Of the Land!
Of the Land is a family and community farm that believes in the power of food and the beauty in sharing the nature that is around us. They provide organic faire, catering, and one of a kind wedding and event experiences. (And it is run by some pretty incredible human beings–Bridgett and Trent Blough!)
One of the great services Of the Land offers is their Green Box–otherwise referred to as the “Farmers’ Market in a Box!” The Green Box is a way to source locally grown produce, meats, eggs, dairy, kitchen staples, complete meals, and much more–all from the Of the Land farm and other local farmers, artisans and producers!
You can access the green box via the virtual marketplace here! In the growing season, they offer weekly and bi-weekly subscriptions–you can also do a one-time order as long as you have an order of at least $35!
Here is a great video to learn more about Of the Land and Green Box!
We are overjoyed to announce our partnership with MRC Artworks!
This is an incredible organization! Their mission is to encourage and support individuals living with a disability to achieve the fullest potential through employment, skill building, and active community involvement.
We have 14 pieces for sale! We will be collecting any sales then giving all the proceeds back to MRC. Artists will receive 75% commission on all sales!
Come check them out at our office or at their downtown location!
Another AMAZING partnership we are bringing to you is our very own local juicer – JuicyLeaf!
Come check them out at our office or at their downtown location or schedule a pick up at Mindset every Tuesday from 3-7pm!
**Place your orders before NOON on SUNDAYS**
Does Juicy Leaf use organic fruits and vegetables?
- We strictly use certified organic or local, organically grown produce unless an item is on the “EWG Clean Fifteen” list; e.g. pineapples, melons, etc.
What’s the difference between a juice and a smoothie?
- The main difference is fiber. Most of the insoluble fiber is removed in the juicing process.
- By taking the fiber out, you can pack more fruit & veggie nutrients into a juice than you can into a smoothie of the same size.
- The lack of insoluble fiber allows your body to rapidly absorb the nutrients while expending minimal digestive effort.
- Smoothies are made by pulverizing fruit/veggies with liquid in a blender. The insoluble fiber, which helps keep things moving through your system, is maintained in the process.
What are the benefits of juice?
- Several servings of fruit & veg nutrition effortlessly absorbed without energy taxing digestion.
- Easy way to incorporate more fruits and veg in diet than eating produce alone.
- Boosts immunity and energy. Alkalizing, chronic illness prevention, helps aid in weight loss, clear skin, healthy hair.