The Week of
Day One vs. One Day
This Week’s Info
- Mobility Focus: Thoracic and Hip
- Stability Goals: Hip and Scapula
- Skill Work: Bent Over Row / Pull 1
- Mindset: Day One vs. One Day
WOD Programming Schedule
- Monday: Strength
- Tuesday: MetCon
- Wednesday: Pliability
- Thursday: Strength
- Friday: MetCon
- Saturday: Pliability
- We want to hear from YOU! As we approach the Fall and Winter seasons, we want to hear your needs! Please take 3 min to give us your feedback through this short survey!
**Attention Masters Members!**
- We heard you! HERE is your link to register for our Masters Nutrition Course!
- The course will be Fridays 9:30-10am starting Sept 9th thru Oct 14th!
- Topics will include anatomy, physiology, macronutrient / micronutrient education and more!
- BUDDY DISCOUNT ALERT! This course is open to the public so bring a non-member friend and you both get 10% off!
Want to clean out your closet for a good cause?
- We are excited to announce that we will be a donation site for the 6th Annual “It’s in the Bag” Purse Sale Fundraiser hosted by the Friends of the Portage Senior Center.
- The Friends are currently seeking donations of gently used, name-brand handbags, purses, jewelry and scarves to go toward sale. We will be hosting a collection bin in our foyer for the next few weeks for drop-off donations!
- Check out the link above for more information on the day-of sale! We also invite you to check out the Friends of the Portage Senior Center of Facebook!
- The Friends of the Portage Senior Center is a non-profit that provides an annual gift to the new Portage Community Senior Center. The City of Portage contributes approximately 20% of the Senior Center operating funds to programming. Thus, it is necessary for the Friends to raise funds for continued support in the center’s membership scholarships, programming, and special events.
- If you have any questions about the event or donating, feel free to connect with Amanda at firstname.lastname@example.org!
So how do you make that decision?
If you make your decision based on EMOTIONS and how you FEEL, you won’t get out of bed.
If you make your decision based on your CONVICTIONS and GOALS, you will get out of that bed
How do you make your decisions?
Functional Medicine Corner
We always think of the brain as the central command center for the body, however the GI tract plays a significant role in helping the brain navigate from day to day. Part of the reason for this is that the gut itself is constantly taking in information from our surrounding environment, along with our other senses. This important connection between these two organ systems is called the gut-brain axis.
The enteric nervous system, or a complex series of 200-600 million nerves that extends throughout the gut and is connected ultimately to the brain, works to control several GI functions. This includes controlling digestive secretions, boosting the immune system responses, and providing a highway of communication between the microbiome and our brain. This is also where stress and the gut collide, as the enteric nerves are one significant influencer that determines whether we are in “fight or flight” or “rest or digest” system response at any given moment.
In addition, several neurotransmitters and hormones are shuttled through this nervous “highway” system as well. As we have discussed previously, about 90% of the serotonin in our body is made by beneficial bacteria in the gut.
Serotonin, GABA and other chemical influencers travel along the vagus nerve to influence how our brain functions. The gut-brain axis is an area that is being researched extensively today, and we are uncovering more connections as we continue to dig into the intricacy of our gut health.
~ Carrie Palmer PA-C, IFMCP
Please feel free to reach out to Carrie directly with additional questions at 269-224-1659!
Member of the Month – Nicole Asher
WE LOVE YOU NICOLE!
We are so pumped and honored to have you in our crazy community! You master consistency, hard work and passion! We love to watch you bring your best every single workout and cheer on others!
Help us send some MINDSET LOVE to Nicole this month!